Wednesday 29 September 2021

Green Gold!🌳🌿

 Since 2014, our school has been working our way up to be a Green Gold school. It is now 2021 so we have been completely environmental for 7 years! Our generation (us kids), are the ones that can change our future from global warming, trashed streets and sickly gasses floating around in our air to beautiful wetlands filled with birds and native plants, clean air and native animals that are nearly extinct coming back to full capacity. 

Yesterday we had the Green Gold people ( Charlotte, Kirsty, Rick and Kauri ) come and judge if we are worthy of holding the Green Gold title. In the morning when they got there we greeted them with a powhiri. After the powhiri my class went to find the start of Hamanatua, our school awa. I horse ride over the hill we were walking so I knew the way. 

When we got to the gate into the farm Koka Rozie told us the precautions to take on the farm and then we headed in. Right at the start was a steep, slippery hill we had to climb up to get to the creek. I barely made it down the hill without falling, when it was my turn to jump I had tightened my bag straps and prepared myself and swoosh... I made it without any water on me, TADA!!

Onwards..... We followed the river through mud and poop until we got to the base of Hamanatua. Woohoo!! We made it. Everyone was super ready for lunch so we sat and ate our food. It is hard to believe that Hamanatua started as a big wetland, just a humongous paddock full of mud and cows!

When we got back a awesome surprise was waiting for us... WE GOT GREEN GOLD!!!!!!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about